Match Report
Brighton College Boys-U13A-Prep vs  Cumnor House Sussex Boys-U13A
On: Saturday, 09 Nov 2019
Venue: Away

On a crisp Saturday morning the U13A rugby 7s squad took their place in a festival at Cumnor House School. Eight teams were present and split into two pools of four. In a refreshing twist, progression in the competition would be decided by points differential rather than wins and any tied matches would be played out with a golden try scenario.

We had been drawn St. Ronan’s, Vinehall and Great Walstead in pool 2. We scored 3 unanswered tries in our first match vs St. Ronan’s but struggled to fine much rhythm and made a high number of handling errors. Next up were Vinehall and we got off to an excellent start with Dillion M going over. Vinehall hit back with a score of their own and their pacy winger notched another 3 tries before the end of the game. This moment proved pivotal as the team by their own admission had let their heads go down and they vowed not to do that again. Our final 1st round match was against Great Walstead who had the same playing record as us thus far. The team played superbly running in 5 unanswered scores.

After a short break to work out the 2nd round pools. We had qualified for the ‘Lions’ pool as runner-up in our pool to Vinehall. Great Walstead and St. Ronan’s went into the ‘Barbarians‘ pool. The other two qualifiers from pool 1 were Windlesham House and Christ’s Hospital School. We played Christ’s Hospital School first and continued our momentum from the previous match vs Great Walstead. We scored 5 tries and only conceded 1. Straight after that game Windlesham House were up next. Having to play back to back took its toll but the boys showed a huge amount of grit to score 2 tries and only concede 1.

Going into our final match of the day this meant if we could turnover Vinehall the team that defeated us in the 1st round pool we would win the festival. The game was gripping as neither side gave an inch. It was 1 score apiece as the final whistle blew. This took the game to extra time where each team had to take off a player every minute of playing time. 3 minutes later and neither side, despite going close, could break the deadlock. Perhaps guilty of letting their heads drop earlier on - not now the team stepped up - playing 4v4 Aaron Clayton took the ball forward drawing in two tacklers offloading to Dillon M who looked like he was in but for a superb covering tackle from the Vinehall speedster but Dillon didn’t panic he calmed popped the ball up to the supporting Sam W who dived in to score the decisive try. Cue unbelievable scenes of celebration on the sidelines and a pitch invasion from the subs.

The whole squad played their part. Josh C was electric throughout the day. Lewis W scored our first try and his awareness stood out. Theo L displayed his silky footwork and ability to recycle possession. Stanley C was impressive in the tight and strong in defence. Robin G proved what a great ball playing forward his is. Aaron C at times was unplayable and terrifying with ball in hand, as a tackler or on the clear-out. Dillon M was our top try scorer and added a kicking dimension to his game. Michael M was the most improved player through the festival popped up with a try against Christ Hospital and never missed a tackle. Finally, Skipper for the day, Sam W was the king of the breakdown securing crucial turnovers and his support play was superb. Every player made a telling contribution on the day and take away the lessons in 'Mindset' and 'Grit' from the experience.